Conversation Class: Fears

Conversation Class: Fears

1. Getting Started

  1. What things are you afraid of?

  2. What is your biggest fear?

  3. Are you afraid of anything that you know is irrational?

  4. Is there anything you used to be afraid of but aren't afraid of anymore?

  5. What was your biggest fear when you were a child?

  6. What kinds of things usually make people afraid?

  7. Would you describe yourself as a fearful person?

  8. Do you find it easy to admit that you are afraid?

  9. What do you usually do when you are afraid?

  10. Do you prefer to face your fears or avoid them?

2. Specific Fears

  1. Are you afraid of heights?

  2. Are you afraid of animals? Which ones?

  3. Are you afraid of flying?

  4. Are you afraid of speaking in public?

  5. Are you afraid of driving?

  6. Are you afraid of being alone in certain places?

  7. Are you afraid of horror movies?

  8. Are you afraid of getting sick?

  9. Are you afraid of losing your job?

  10. Are you afraid of getting older?

3. Fears and Experiences

  1. Have you ever done something even though you were very afraid?

  2. What is the most frightening situation you have ever experienced?

  3. Have you ever had to control your fear in order to solve a problem?

  4. Has anyone ever helped you overcome a fear?

  5. Have you ever had an experience that changed the way you see fear?

  6. Have you ever been afraid and later realized that there was no reason to be?

  7. What situation has made you the most nervous in your life?

  8. Have you ever had to speak in front of a large group of people? How did you feel?

  9. Have you ever done something dangerous without thinking about the consequences?

  10. What is the biggest risk you have ever taken?

4. Fears Related to Life

  1. What worries you more: the present or the future?

  2. Are you afraid of making mistakes?

  3. Are you afraid of failing?

  4. Are you more afraid of failing or regretting that you didn't try?

  5. Are you worried about what other people think about you?

  6. Are you afraid of changing jobs or starting a new career?

  7. Are you afraid of making important decisions?

  8. What do you think about the fear of getting older?

  9. Do you think it is normal to be afraid of death?

  10. Are you more afraid of losing someone or losing something important to you?

5. Discussion and Debate

  1. Is fear something negative, or can it be useful?

  2. Do you think fear can protect us?

  3. Is it possible to live without fear?

  4. Do you think brave people feel less fear, or do they simply know how to control it better?

  5. Is it always good to face our fears?

  6. Can fear prevent someone from achieving their goals?

  7. Can fear be a good source of motivation?

  8. Do you think parents pass some of their fears on to their children?

  9. Do social media increase our fears and worries?

  10. Do you think people are more afraid today than previous generations?

6. Hypothetical Situations

  1. If you had to do something that scares you a lot to win one million dollars, what would you do?

  2. If you could eliminate one fear from your life forever, which one would you eliminate?

  3. If your best friend were afraid to do something important, what would you tell them?

  4. If you knew you couldn't fail, what would you do?

  5. If you had to spend a night completely alone in an unfamiliar place, would you accept?

  6. If you could face one of your biggest fears with the help of a professional, which fear would you choose?

  7. If you could go back in time and tell your ten-year-old self something about fear, what would you say?

  8. If you didn't feel any fear for 24 hours, what would you do?

  9. If you had to choose between being afraid of failure and being afraid of rejection, which would you prefer?

  10. What would you do if you discovered that one of your biggest fears was completely irrational?

Final Activity: "My Fear and Me"

Complete the sentences and explain your answers:

  • I'm afraid of...

  • When I was a child, I was afraid of...

  • One thing I'd like to overcome is...

  • Once, I was very afraid when...

  • I think fear can be useful because...

  • Something I would never do because I'm afraid of...

  • If I weren't afraid, I would...

  • My advice to someone who is afraid of... would be...


Abaixo está uma seleção das 20 palavras e expressões mais importantes sobre “fears”, com tradução para o português e exemplos em inglês.

Vocabulary: Fears — Inglês / Português

#EnglishPortuguêsExample
1fearmedoFear is a natural human emotion.
2afraidcom medoI'm afraid of flying.
3scaredassustado(a) / com medoShe was scared when she heard the noise.
4frightenedassustado(a) / amedrontado(a)He was frightened by the sudden sound.
5terrifiedaterrorizado(a)I was terrified when I saw the accident.
6anxiousansioso(a) / apreensivo(a)She feels anxious before speaking in public.
7worrypreocupação / preocupar-seDon't worry about things you can't control.
8nervousnervoso(a)I always get nervous before an important interview.
9dangerperigoFear can help us recognize danger.
10riskriscoSometimes you have to take a risk.
11threatameaçaPeople often feel afraid when they perceive a threat.
12panicpânico / entrar em pânicoTry not to panic in difficult situations.
13phobiafobiaShe has a phobia of spiders.
14overcomesuperarHe managed to overcome his fear of heights.
15face your fearsenfrentar seus medosYou have to face your fears if you want to overcome them.
16avoidevitarSome people avoid situations that make them afraid.
17confidenceconfiançaConfidence can help you deal with fear.
18bravecorajoso(a)You have to be brave sometimes.
19irrational fearmedo irracionalFear of harmless animals can sometimes be an irrational fear.
20fear of failuremedo de fracassarHis fear of failure prevents him from trying new things.

Expressões especialmente úteis para conversação

  • I'm afraid of... → Eu tenho medo de...

  • I'm scared of... → Eu tenho medo de...

  • I'm terrified of... → Eu morro de medo de...

  • I'm worried about... → Estou preocupado(a) com...

  • I get nervous when... → Eu fico nervoso(a) quando...

  • I'm afraid that... → Tenho medo de que...

  • I've always been afraid of... → Sempre tive medo de...

  • I used to be afraid of... → Eu costumava ter medo de...

  • I've overcome my fear of... → Superei meu medo de...

  • I need to face my fears. → Preciso enfrentar meus medos.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário